Dawn Bryan The best-selling author Gift giving: Art and Etiquette These tips will help you select the best watermelon and show you how to store it. Plus, some watermelon games and trivia that will help make celebrating America’s independence that much sweeter this year.
FIVE TIPS ON SELECTING A FLAVORFUL WATERMELON THAT IS RIPE
- Look for a watermelon that has bright skin, is firm, symmetrical, and free of cuts
- Find one that feels heavy for its size; “water” melons contain more than 90% water and the ripest ones have the most water
- It should not be wider at one end, or more sloppy than the other; this could indicate that it grew in spurts.
- The underside should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun – rather than being picked early
- You will need to position the melon 2 inches from your ears. Tap or thump the melon with your free hand. It will sound hollow if it is not fully ripe.
FUN WAYS OF SERVING WATERMELON
- Each part of a watermelon can be eaten!
- It can be filled with your favorite punch. Attach a faucet and you will have a watermelon-keg!
- To add watermelon juice to lemonades or fruit, freeze it in ice cube tray